Remove 2007 Remove Community Remove Lending Remove Operations
article thumbnail

Best Community Banks to Work For 2022

Independent Banker

Community Financial Services Bank, Benton, Ky.; In our annual workplace survey, employees of ICBA’s best community banks to work for told us they benefit from engaging cultures, opportunities for advancement and innovative benefits. On Thanksgiving 2007, he founded Bank of Montana, which now has one branch and 13 employees.

article thumbnail

Commercial Real Estate or Business Lending: Which Is Better?

Jeff For Banks

Me: Commercial Real Estate loans are the most profitable product in a community bank's arsenal and have been through various interest rate environments. The much sought after "operating account." Two reasons, in my opinion: average balance per account, and operating expense per account. What does a "full relationship" mean?

Lending 78
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Consumer Lending: Should Banks Do It?

Jeff For Banks

When I first read Standards Needed for Safe, Small Installment Loans from Banks, Credit Unions by the Pew Charitable Trusts that encouraged financial institutions to get back into small ticket consumer lending, I thought “what are they nuts!” So why would banks expand small-ticket, unsecured personal lending? Even the big banks.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

Beneficial State Bank’s financial activism

Independent Banker

The idea that community banking can be a force for positive change is at the heart of Beneficial State Bank, which engages its customers through financial activism. billion-asset community bank in Oakland, Calif., When it comes down to it, though, the community bank’s mission is radically simple. Photo: Ashley Courter.

Oakland 153
article thumbnail

Why The ICBA Is Fighting Industrial Loan Charters For FinTechs

PYMNTS

Ultimately, that effort was pushed back by a coalition of unions, consumer groups, community banking groups and legislators that did not trust Walmart’s business plan or intentions once they had the license and FDIC deposit insurance in hand. That lending operation has been fairly successful for Square, and has lent out over $1.8

Industry 108
article thumbnail

Why Banks Merge: Listen to the Sellers

Jeff For Banks

In 2013 there were 246 bank and thrift merger and acquisition deals announced, the highest number since 2007 when there were 318 deals. This all comes with fewer banks than there were in 2007. Year to date through April 22nd, there were 73 announced deals, putting us on track for a similar number of deals to last year. Our combination.

article thumbnail

Basics and Niche Markets

Independent Banker

There is no secret sauce to our community bank’s recent strong performance. They are visionaries and stay involved; at the same time, they don’t meddle in the day-to-day operations of the bank. Members of our lending team are not order takers. Our lending culture is “let’s make it happen.” The timing was incredible.