article thumbnail

CFPB announces advisory committee members

CFPB Monitor

Last week, the CFPB announced the appointment of new members to its advisory committees: Consumer Advisory Board (CAB), Community Bank Advisory Council (CBAC), Credit Union Advisory Council (CUAC), and Academic Research Council (ARC). Jean Setzfand, Senior Vice President, AARP (Washington, DC). Bank (Minneapolis, MN).

DC 78
article thumbnail

Heritage Commerce agrees to settle DC Solar claims

American Banker

(..)

DC 67
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

American Greed: Can being an honest broker be banks and credit unions competitive advantage?

Jeff For Banks

According to a 2012 Boston College Center for Retirement Research study , 63% of American males (why only males I do not know) participated exclusively in defined contribution (DC) retirement plans in 2007, up from 47% in 1992. Could this need for personal financial management prove to be a viable niche for community financial institutions?

Boston 89
article thumbnail

Banking's Total Return Top 5: 2013 Edition

Jeff For Banks

Especially if I believe community banks must increasingly be known for some niche to differentiate. I first became aware of Marlin at the Utah Bankers Association Executive Development Program, where a Marlin Business Bank officer was attending. The branchless community bank operates in the Wilmington-Philadelphia market.

article thumbnail

Deposits Surge at Black-Owned Banks After Celeb Appeals

American Banker

Executives at several minority-owned community banks nationwide, including OneUnited Bank in Boston and Carver Federal Savings Bank in New York, say they have received a windfall of deposits in recent weeks, coinciding with the introduction of the Black Money Matters Project.

Boston 28
article thumbnail

A Bank Dealmaker Who's Made Relationship-Building His Brand

American Banker

United Bankshares in West Virginia has quietly become a $14 billion-asset player in its region thanks to the M&A strategy of its highly respected leader, Richard Adams, who has a way of establishing a rapport with community bank chiefs. One recent seller is a repeat customer.

article thumbnail

Bank Products: Blah Blah Blah

Jeff For Banks

At a recent banking conference, Ray Davis of Umpqua Bank took center stage to tell of his journey from a small, Oregon community bank to a regional powerhouse. And product was not part of the bank's success. He mentioned products only briefly. I thought, Why? Wouldn't we all benefit from more simplicity?