Remove Capital Remove Community Remove Operations Remove Pennsylvania
article thumbnail

The Main Street Rescue That Wasn’t (And Still Isn’t)

PYMNTS

What happens if Main Street becomes less a proving ground for smaller businesses — born of, and serving, local communities — and more a collection of larger firms, well-capitalized, but already enjoying competitive advantages? Millions of smaller businesses are grappling with the impacts of the pandemic. The smallest loan, at $1.5

Maine 218
article thumbnail

How Can Banks Thrive in the Next Five Years?

Jeff For Banks

I know, my first job in banking in 1985 at Northeastern Bank of Pennsylvania was making microfiche. In Pennsylvania, Rocket has number 1 market share. They are/were the business owners, demanders of capital and loans, and significant depositors. And a branch, on average, cost about 1% of deposits in direct operating expenses.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Bankers: Here's What We Do

Jeff For Banks

I work for The Kafafian Group, a community bank consulting firm based in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Many of my readers might not know what my firm does, so I want to dedicate this post to the problems we help community bankers solve. We guide your institution into creating an operating plan, or the "how" to strategy execution.

Groups 85
article thumbnail

Widening Borrower Protection’s Scope To SMBs

PYMNTS

As online lending platforms proliferate among the SMB borrowing community, however, experts warn that a lack of regulation means these companies rarely publicly reveal interest rates and fees. On top of that, MacKrell said the government is not sufficiently enlightening the small business community about the risks of online lenders.

Lending 136
article thumbnail

Banking's Top 5 in Total Return to Shareholders: 2018 Edition

Jeff For Banks

Total return includes two components: capital appreciation and dividends. This is clearly a turnaround situation, as the bank lost over $12 million in 2010, over 20% of its capital (ouch). is the parent company of Willamette Valley Bank, a community bank headquartered in Salem, Oregon. Welcome to the list! #2. And to them I say.

Oregon 101
article thumbnail

Banking's Top 5 in Total Return to Shareholders: 2019 Edition

Jeff For Banks

Total return includes two components: capital appreciation and dividends. billion in assets community bank with 22 branches that encircle the Seattle Sound. Two weeks ago I was at Cara Mia's having a chicken parm two blocks from their headquarters in Dunmore, Pennsylvania. First Capital, Inc. Pretty impressive.

Indiana 78
article thumbnail

Bankers: Seven Questions to Determine If You Have a Strategic CFO?

Jeff For Banks

The CFO's role then is to make sure that capital is available at the right cost for these choices to be profitable, and that the company has processes and decision making rules for capital allocation to support that growth." J4B Take : The greatest uncertainty facing community banking is relevance.

Capital 78