Remove 2012 Remove Community Remove Regulation Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

Credit Union Helps US Marijuana Businesses Put Down Roots

PYMNTS

Part of our mission is to improve the quality of life in our communities. GFA spent time researching how Colorado was affected after it legalized recreational marijuana in 2012: The state’s marijuana businesses were often beset by break-ins, robberies and even murders. Helping a green industry give up the green stuff.

Colorado 126
article thumbnail

Challenges to monetary policy: lessons from Medieval Europe

BankUnderground

Royal monetary policy was conducted by practitioners recruited from the moneychangers and nascent banking community. Moreover, the national currency belongs to the people, and the state’s role is to regulate it to benefit the people. Monetary theory and policy in Medieval France.

Policies 111
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Wading Through the Waters

Independent Banker

Recently Congress passed the Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act of 2012, followed by the Homeowner Flood Insurance Affordability Act of 2014 (HFIAA). There is an exception that will be key for many community banks to understand. Biggert-Waters) the bank was not required under federal or state law to escrow taxes or insurance.

article thumbnail

FTC Puts The Smackdown On Fake Online Reviews

PYMNTS

million judgement on the defendants in this fake online review case — though, if the company pays $50,000 to the agency, as well as “certain unpaid income tax obligations,” that full judgement amount will be suspended. The Hassell Law Group represented Ava Bird in a 2012 personal injury case for three months.

Online 108
article thumbnail

Banker Quotes: As Told To Me v5

Jeff For Banks

Since I estimate my Twitter community only reads about 10% of their tweet stream, and so many of my blog readers do not follow Twitter, below are selected quotes that I tweeted since version 4. Scroll forward to 3Q 2012, the average balance ballooned to $112,060. Regulators will focus on the fire. sandy Real world problems.

NJ 83
article thumbnail

Guest Post: Third Quarter Economic Update by Dorothy Jaworski

Jeff For Banks

And don’t forget that they are still finishing the $667 billion Operation Twist Program by year end 2012, where they sell shorter maturities and buy longer term ones to push interest rates lower. In March, 2012, the Bhutan GNH Index was on a UN meeting agenda, no doubt to promote the idea of promoting well being over weak economies.

article thumbnail

Big Tech Compliance Tracker: France Fines Amazon And Google $164 Million; Australia Warns Facebook And Google To Pay News Firms 

PYMNTS

The Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés (CNIL), the French data protection watchdog, has hit Amazon and Google with significant financial penalties for allegedly contravening regulations on the digital advertising trackers known as “cookies,” CNBC reported. Amazon was told to pay 35 million euros (approximately $42.5

Google 132