Remove 2011 Remove Community Remove FDIC Remove Operations
article thumbnail

Operation Choke Point 2.0

Jeff For Banks

In 2012 the Obama administration launched "Operation Choke Point" ("OCP") which was designed to ensure banks considered the risk of banking payday lenders that were engaged in abusive practices. The FDIC's quarterly Supervisory Insights for Summer 2011 had a list! What were disfavored industries?

article thumbnail

Community Financial Institutions: Parking Lot for the Benjamins

Jeff For Banks

First dropping the Fed Funds rate to near zero, and most recently with Operation Twist designed to guide long-term rates even lower. This has kept investment options for community financial institutions at historic lows. Community FIs are experiencing similar activity from their Main Street customers.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Bankers and Strategic Bets. A Slow Embrace.

Jeff For Banks

Six years ago I asked in a blog post Will Plain Vanilla Kill Community Banking ? When I wrote that post in January 2011 there were 7,700 FDIC insured financial institutions. They can be a strategic shift of your franchise, a new product line, or a new operating environment. Did I get caught up in the change-or-die crowd?

Apple 65
article thumbnail

Banking's Total Return Top 5

Jeff For Banks

For comparison purposes, here are last year''s top five, as measured during September, 2011: #1 BofI Holdings, Inc. #2 So, as a branchless bank, BofI has leveraged its significantly lower operating expenses into profit. Hingham''s ROA from 2007-2011 was 0.63%, 0.81%, 0.93%, 1.05%, and 1.14% respectively.

Texas 78
article thumbnail

Building Financially Empowered Youth; Our Future Depends on Them

Filene

Earlier this summer, Filene released a research report that examined a systemic problem we face in this country—the lack of accessible financial service options in many low-income, urban communities. Allowing youth to run the operations to give them business experience. Providing youth with their own space to learn about money.

Video 64
article thumbnail

Are the regulators getting you down?

Jeff For Banks

The FDIC has nearly quadrupled its enforcement actions (“EA”) over the past three years. Regulators must approve our initial business plans, capital plans, and various other operating procedures prior to granting a charter. Jeff Note: The above post was taken from my firm''s First Quarter, 2011 newsletter.

article thumbnail

Preparing for Section 1071

Abrigo

Takeaway 3 Financial institutions should consider the impact of this rule and prepare for changes to their business operations. Online lenders, platform lenders, and fintechs should also consider sending feedback to the CFPB and considering the ways their operations might be affected. Proposed Rule. Commenters have until Nov.

Lending 195