article thumbnail

CFPB and DOJ announce redlining settlement

CFPB Monitor

The joint complaint filed by the CFPB and DOJ in federal district court in New Jersey states that the action resulted from a joint investigation by the agencies of the bank’s lending practices following the CFPB’s referral of the bank to the DOJ pursuant to the ECOA.

NJ 60
article thumbnail

Popular Bank Named Among First Investors of NWK FAM Fund

PopularBank

NEWARK, NJ and NEW YORK, NY – October 13, 2020 – Popular Bank , a subsidiary of Popular, Inc. The Newark 40 Acres and a Mule Fund will bring pride and prosperity to our city as a whole and to our Black and Latinx business community in particular.”. $100M Fund to Economically Empower Black and Latinx Business Owners.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

The top-performing community banks of 2021

Independent Banker

Independent Banker’s annual listing top-performing community banks of 2021 alongside interviews with some of the winners. In true community bank fashion, each has its own story to tell and its own path to success. In true community bank fashion, each has its own story to tell and its own path to success. Philadelphia.

article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

The old borrow short, lend long strategy. Economists cite as the main culprit the collapse of the subprime mortgage market — defaults on high-risk housing loans — which led to a credit crunch in the global banking system and a precipitous drop in bank lending. To fight inflation, the Fed raised rates aggressively (familiar?).

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

Malvern in Pa. Continues with Commercial Lending Expansion

American Banker

is planning to open a commercial lending office in a new market. Malvern Bancorp in Paoli, Pa.,

Lending 28
article thumbnail

Too Much on the Dollar Menu?

Jeff For Banks

I recently spoke at a NJ Bankers Association event about the things I learned this recession (see blog post regarding subject). My company does line of business and product profitability reporting for community banks. Commercial real estate lending was the common profit driver for banks and thrifts.

NJ 60
article thumbnail

Banker Quotes: As Told To Me v6

Jeff For Banks

Since I estimate my Twitter community only reads about 10% of their tweet stream, and so many of my blog readers do not follow Twitter, below are selected quotes that I tweeted since version 5. Bank SVP: the mortgage lending business is like a shark. Bank Exec: The mortgage business only has a 30-day business plan. Bring on the change!

NJ 98