article thumbnail

Regulation and Compliance: Ready for Review

Independent Banker

Anticipating what’s new for your community bank’s next field examination. This is particularly true for community banks preparing to undergo their next regulatory safety and soundness or compliance examination. As Barr points out, most community banks—close to 75 percent—are now growing their loan portfolios.

article thumbnail

SAFE Banking Act returns to Congress: Is safe harbor for cannabis banking on the horizon?

Abrigo

Bipartisan support The SAFE Banking Act's long road to the Senate Many in the AML/CFT community have been watching the unfolding of the Secure and Fair Enforcement (SAFE) Banking Act for some time now with no significant progress. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, in the same hearing.

Lending 195
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Will D&I requirements change this year?

Independent Banker

Some lawmakers on Capitol Hill are increasingly interested in diversity and inclusion (D&I) compliance requirements for financial institutions. Here are the key areas of D&I policies and practices that community banks may need if these requirements change or become mandatory. Preparing your community bank’s D&I program.

article thumbnail

Remote Seller Taxation: A Job For Tax Automation

PYMNTS

The new jumble of state-level and municipal taxation has further obscured already confusing Internet sales tax compliance. Some states are making sweeping moves, like Ohio just did by eliminating sales taxes on feminine hygiene products. If you ever wonder what causes internet billionaires to lose sleep … this’ll do it. Implementation.

Taxes 130
article thumbnail

Trying No-Go Mortgages

Independent Banker

Under the right circumstances, providing residential mortgages that fall outside of the new federal Qualified Mortgage definition could help a community bank grow its lending, some community bankers say. a $613 million-asset community bank serving central and northern Wisconsin that engages in non-QM lending. Still holding back.

article thumbnail

Who were ICBA’s Top Lenders of 2022?

Independent Banker

Last year, community bank loan producers were faced with both record-low interest rates and a glut of deposits. But as they always do, they came through for individuals and businesses in their communities with a combination of personalized service and prudent risk management practices. First Community Bank of the Heartland, Inc.

article thumbnail

The 2022 GonzoBanker Awards

Gonzobanker

SoFI gets a commercial bank that brings deposits, compliance, AND business lending. Hats off to Thomas Shara at Lakeland and Tony Labozzetta of Provident for architecting the new $25 billion super-community bank in New Jersey. Acquisition of the Year: The No Time to Breathe Award. Provident Financial Services, Inc. Bravo April!

Community 216