article thumbnail

Beneficial State Bank’s financial activism

Independent Banker

The idea that community banking can be a force for positive change is at the heart of Beneficial State Bank, which engages its customers through financial activism. Location: Oakland, Calif. billion-asset community bank in Oakland, Calif., When it comes down to it, though, the community bank’s mission is radically simple.

Oakland 153
article thumbnail

CDFIs Kick Off PPP Loan Submissions

Abrigo

The next round of the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) has kicked off with Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs), Minority Depository Institutions (MDIs), and other community financial institutions submitting applications for local businesses. See how Community Bank of the Bay partnered with Abrigo to help borrowers.

Lending 195
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

CFPB announces new appointments to advisory groups

CFPB Monitor

The CFPB announced the appointment of new members to its Consumer Advisory Board, Community Bank Advisory Council, and Credit Union Advisory Council. New members to the Consumer Advisory Board will serve three-year terms and new members to the Community Bank and Credit Union Advisory Councils will serve two-year terms. Kathleen C.

Groups 60
article thumbnail

Why Libraries Are Giving Up On Late Fees

PYMNTS

That lost library book we had almost managed to convince ourselves no longer existed. I didn’t even want to tell you, ‘I have fines,’” Penkert told the Journal of what she normally hears at work while collecting library fines from friends and family in the community, who usually wear a rather pained hangdog expression.

Minnesota 188
article thumbnail

Field of Dreams

Independent Banker

Major league baseball manager Tony La Russa talks about building a winning team. Tony La Russa was a professional baseball manager for 33 years, serving the Chicago White Sox, the Oakland Athletics and the St. He managed teams that won three World Series titles, six league championships and 12 division titles.

article thumbnail

Building from Scratch

Independent Banker

“I love being around people, and people are what community banking is all about.” Overcoming various long odds over the years, Shirley Nelson launched and then grew a thriving California community bank. Bank Headquarters: Oakland, Calif. I love being around people, and people are what community banking is all about,” she says.

Oakland 98
article thumbnail

Michigan Approves Charter For First LGBT Credit Union

PYMNTS

There are also plans to offer products such as insurance, health care and wealth management specifically designed for LGBT customers. In fact, research shows members of the LGBT community have difficulty securing banking services regardless of where they are located, with same-sex couples less likely to be approved for a loan.

Michigan 102