Remove 2009 Remove Community Remove National Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

Austin Is Bringing The FinTech Heat

PYMNTS

Austin’s startup community has seen a big transformation over the years. Back in 2009 when eCommerce platform BigCommerce was getting its start, Austin wasn’t considered a place where working for a startup was common. There’s a positive feedback loop here that’s causing more and more startups to be created in or move to Austin.”.

Austin 100
article thumbnail

Guest Post: FInancial Markets and Economic Update by Dorothy Jaworski

Jeff For Banks

This is because the economy has been gaining momentum, however modest, from the tax cuts and deregulation. annually since 2009, while the record expansion of the 1990s saw growth of 3.6%. As well as the economy has been doing from the momentum of tax cuts and reduced regulation, there are always looming issues. since that time.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

What Goes Up …

Independent Banker

Coping just fine, community banks in energy-producing regions manage the oil-price plunge. Crude oil prices have dropped more than 50 percent from last July to this January, and they haven’t hovered this low since 2009. billion-asset community bank based in Happy, Texas. By Howard Schneider. percent expansion last year.

article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. The upshot of the analysis, in my opinion, is that the risk can be further limited to CLD lending, more so than straight, plain vanilla CRE lending that is so common in community financial institutions. We perform this service for dozens of community banks.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. What concerned me most wasn’t that the customer was upset with me,” recalls Hartings of the homebuyers who ignored his community bank’s cautiously pragmatic approach. “I Fortunately, most did listen.

Ohio 70
article thumbnail

Banking's Top 5 in Total Return to Shareholders: 2017 Edition

Jeff For Banks

The Bank, Old Second National Bank, lost a whopping $156 million in 2009 and 2010. Their non-performing loans (NPL)/total loans ratio peaked at 12.54% in 2010, and between 2009-12, the Bank charged off over 11% of its loan portfolio. Actually, the Bank had a one-time after tax litigation settlement (from a 2002-04 event) of $6.2

article thumbnail

Why Kenya’s Central Bank Notice on Bitcoin was Misinformed

Bankelele

On Tuesday, December 15th , the Central Bank of Kenya issued a public notice on bitcoin in the Daily Nation: CAUTION TO THE PUBLIC ON VIRTUAL CURRENCIES SUCH AS BITCOIN – it read. As part of the Bitcoin community here in Kenya, I am a vocal advocate of digital currencies, writing extensively on the subject over the past 2 years.

Bitcoin 28