Remove 2009 Remove Community Remove Lending Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. Today, I read an American Banker article on how a multi-billion dollar bank is going to ramp up its business lending. To remind readers, in 2006 the OCC, Federal Reserve, and FDIC issued joint interagency Guidance on Concentrations in Commercial Real Estate Lending.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

What Goes Up …

Independent Banker

Coping just fine, community banks in energy-producing regions manage the oil-price plunge. Crude oil prices have dropped more than 50 percent from last July to this January, and they haven’t hovered this low since 2009. billion-asset community bank based in Happy, Texas. By Howard Schneider. Pat Hickman, Happy State Bank.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Guest Post: Quarterly Financial Markets and Economics Update by Dorothy Jaworski

Jeff For Banks

Since the recovery began in June, 2009, real GDP growth has averaged 2.3%. Bank lending has not been the catalyst it used to be for improved growth in this recovery compared to prior ones; maybe we can point at regulation after regulation being forced onto banks and higher, more restrictive capital requirements.

article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

The old borrow short, lend long strategy. When the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 passed, the top capital gains tax rate was lowered, providing yet another incentive for equity speculators to pour money into the fledgling internet industry. Most of the more than 500 financial institutions that failed were community banks.

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

My Fantasy Banking Team

Jeff For Banks

He joined COB's board in 2009 after its $310 million recapitalization which was needed from a disastrous slew of losses incurred starting in 2008 as a result of awful credit decisions, leading to a 21% NPA/Asset ratio peak in 2010. Selection: Mitch Englert, EVP of Community Banking, Capital City Bank Group, Inc.

article thumbnail

Too Much on the Dollar Menu?

Jeff For Banks

My company does line of business and product profitability reporting for community banks. Of the nine product groups, banks only had one that delivered a greater than 1% pre-tax return on product portfolio, and thrifts had two (the snapshot was for 3rd quarter, 2009). Since writing that missive, I realized I left one out.

NJ 60
article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

Thoughtful lending and an open mind keep profits strong for incoming ICBA chairman Jack Hartings. in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. When the economy came crashing down in 2009, The Peoples Bank was able to work with customers facing hard times.

Ohio 70