Remove 2007 Remove Community Remove FDIC Remove National
article thumbnail

The Death of the Community Bank

Jeff For Banks

In June of 2008 I gave a speech titled "The Death of the Community Bank" and in that speech I made predictions. Much like the General Store fell victim to the supermarket and the lumber yard fell victim to Home Depot, I predicted the community bank that did not pick targeted customer niches or develop product expertise will meet it's doom.

article thumbnail

Community banks’ net income, loan balances increase in 2014

Abrigo

The latest FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile was just released and the industry continues to be led by the nation’s community banks. percent of community banks were unprofitable during the quarter. Here are a few other highlights of community banks from the report : Net interest income up more than 6 percent.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Community banks’ net income, loan balances increase in 2014

Abrigo

The latest FDIC Quarterly Banking Profile was just released and the industry continues to be led by the nation’s community banks. percent of community banks were unprofitable during the quarter. Here are a few other highlights of community banks from the report : Net interest income up more than 6 percent.

article thumbnail

The Federal Home Loan Bank System: Lender of Next-to-Last Resort

Jeff For Banks

"The FDIC recently has observed instances of liquidity stress at a small number of insured banks." So opened the Summer 2017 FDIC Supervisory Insights issue. The national average rate for a money market account at the end of last year was 0.09%. And so went your exams. What would you do? Prepare for that.

FDIC 60
article thumbnail

Disruptive technology will not kill banks

Jeff For Banks

Now the amount of money in US registered investment companies exceeds that in FDIC insured banks. Lending Club funded $5 billion in loans since its founding in 2007. How long before those corporate accounting system providers strike a deal with some regional or national bank to provide seamless views to corporate customers?

article thumbnail

Banking's Total Return Top 5

Jeff For Banks

This has led to $863 million of covered loans (loss share arrangements with FDIC), and a yield on such loans of 8.69%, according to its latest investor presentation. Another interesting fact is that Access National''s management team, which owns 15% of the bank, is relatively young, ranging in age between 41 and 53 years old.

Texas 79
article thumbnail

Bankers and Strategic Bets. A Slow Embrace.

Jeff For Banks

Six years ago I asked in a blog post Will Plain Vanilla Kill Community Banking ? When I wrote that post in January 2011 there were 7,700 FDIC insured financial institutions. Sticking with the Apple theme, in 2007, they launched the iPhone. Did I get caught up in the change-or-die crowd? Was I, gulp, a futurist? A 26% decline.

Apple 66