Remove 2009 Remove Community Remove FDIC Remove Regulation
article thumbnail

FDIC Approves Square For Banking License

PYMNTS

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation ( FDIC ) gave the green light to an application from the FinTech firm Square to create a de novo industrial bank in Utah, the agency said on Wednesday (March 18). was formed in 2009 as a payment services provider to enable businesses to accept card payments. Square, Inc.

FDIC 276
article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

And regulators are getting anxious. and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. Reading between the lines, this bank is likely over the CRE guidance levels, and were probably getting grief from their regulators about it. We perform this service for dozens of community banks.

Lending 60
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Get your ducks in a row: HVCRE risk management

Abrigo

Ashbaugh’s presentation begins with a quick summary of why regulators care about HVCRE. Ashbaugh goes on to demonstrate that the default rates for these loans did not peak until about 2009, and the ALLL did not increase until 2010. That 13% represented 80% of the losses to the FDIC insurance fund. How did we get here?

article thumbnail

Freedom Bank in Montana Released from FDIC Consent Order

American Banker

has been released from a consent order that the FDIC and the Montana Division of Banking and Financial Institutions had implemented in December 2009. Freedom Bank in Columbia Falls, Mont.,

Montana 28
article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

Second, this can be accomplished only if the industry does not have too much influence over its regulators and if the regulators have the ability to hire, train, and retain qualified staff. Third, the regulators need adequate financial resources. My lesson learned to the regulators, read your past lessons learned.

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

Are the regulators getting you down?

Jeff For Banks

The FDIC has nearly quadrupled its enforcement actions (“EA”) over the past three years. The productive view about the similarity of EAs is why haven’t we been doing some of the things required by regulators in the first place? Banking is a highly regulated industry, and has been since the Great Depression.

article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. What concerned me most wasn’t that the customer was upset with me,” recalls Hartings of the homebuyers who ignored his community bank’s cautiously pragmatic approach. “I Fortunately, most did listen.

Ohio 70