Remove 2009 Remove Community Remove FDIC Remove Management
article thumbnail

Get your ducks in a row: HVCRE risk management

Abrigo

In a recent Sageworks webinar Robert Ashbaugh, senior risk management consultant at Sageworks, discusses High Volatility Commercial Real Estate (HVCRE) lending best practices. Ashbaugh goes on to demonstrate that the default rates for these loans did not peak until about 2009, and the ALLL did not increase until 2010.

article thumbnail

Community Financial Institutions: Parking Lot for the Benjamins

Jeff For Banks

This has kept investment options for community financial institutions at historic lows. Community FIs are experiencing similar activity from their Main Street customers. From December 31, 2009 through June 30, 2011, deposits for all FDIC insured depositories increased 5.84%. a highly unusual situation.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

To you, manage your interest rate risk. The Great Recession, in contrast to the relatively short dot-com bubble recession, officially lasted from December 2007 to June 2009, the longest recession since the Great Depression. Although community banks did not lend to sub-prime borrowers in any meaningful way, did we participate?

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. To remind readers, in 2006 the OCC, Federal Reserve, and FDIC issued joint interagency Guidance on Concentrations in Commercial Real Estate Lending. And success is the great mollifier to risk managers that wish to take away the punch bowl when the party's rockin'.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

Are the regulators getting you down?

Jeff For Banks

The FDIC has nearly quadrupled its enforcement actions (“EA”) over the past three years. Imagine a bank that seeks to grow organically by positioning itself as a small business expert within its communities. I understand that management studies are not particularly comfortable. We don’t need the OCC to tell us that!

article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. What concerned me most wasn’t that the customer was upset with me,” recalls Hartings of the homebuyers who ignored his community bank’s cautiously pragmatic approach. “I Fortunately, most did listen.

Ohio 70
article thumbnail

Traditional Banks v. Alternative Lenders: How Goliath Can Beat David

Banking 2020

According to FDIC Data Calls as outlined in the Forbes , in the 4th Quarter of 2014, traditional banks’ commercial loan portfolios saw a 3.1% Here are a few ways Kyle described how this concept might work: Marketing to the local community and actively becoming a part of it.