Remove 2009 Remove Community Remove FDIC Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

When the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 passed, the top capital gains tax rate was lowered, providing yet another incentive for equity speculators to pour money into the fledgling internet industry. Although community banks did not lend to sub-prime borrowers in any meaningful way, did we participate? What caused it?

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. To remind readers, in 2006 the OCC, Federal Reserve, and FDIC issued joint interagency Guidance on Concentrations in Commercial Real Estate Lending. It shows the pre-tax profit as a percent of the loan portfolios measured. And regulators are getting anxious.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. What concerned me most wasn’t that the customer was upset with me,” recalls Hartings of the homebuyers who ignored his community bank’s cautiously pragmatic approach. “I Fortunately, most did listen.

Ohio 70