Remove 2010 Remove Community Remove Regulation Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

Giving Truckers Better Loans Can Lower Carbon Footprints: Here’s Why

PYMNTS

But proponents of rolling back regulations like Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao noted that the higher standards make vehicles more expensive and thus were keeping older, less clean and less safe cars on the road longer because consumers and businesses can’t afford to replace them. Read more in “Accelerating Opportunity.”

article thumbnail

Small Firms Find Tight Labor Market A Costly Challenge

PYMNTS

Eighteen percent of small businesses surveyed by Gallup and Wells Fargo say hiring is their top challenge , beating out taxes, government regulations, cash flow management and customer attraction as the top issue for small business owners. Paychex data found that hourly earnings have grown for the third-straight month, rising 2.38

Marketing 148
Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

Second, this can be accomplished only if the industry does not have too much influence over its regulators and if the regulators have the ability to hire, train, and retain qualified staff. Third, the regulators need adequate financial resources. My lesson learned to the regulators, read your past lessons learned.

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

Dynamic Duo

Independent Banker

From opposite political directions, Senators Shelby and Brown stand on point to greatly influence community banking’s agenda in the next Congress. The mix of contrasts and similarities of Shelby’s and Brown’s perspectives and policymaking portend an active session for community banking’s agenda in the new 114th Congress. By Ed Avis.

article thumbnail

Banking's Top 5 in Total Return to Shareholders: 2017 Edition

Jeff For Banks

The Bank, Old Second National Bank, lost a whopping $156 million in 2009 and 2010. Their non-performing loans (NPL)/total loans ratio peaked at 12.54% in 2010, and between 2009-12, the Bank charged off over 11% of its loan portfolio. That got regulator's attention in the form of a May 2011 Consent Order (CO). Parke Bancorp, Inc.

article thumbnail

Bitcoin’s Resplendent Week

PYMNTS

Although user access to the payments platform was not restricted officially, delays by financial regulators that seemed to have no intent in resolving issues meant that PayPal did not renew its financial license. Bitcoin Regulations. Bitcoin regulation, as Turkey is emphasizing, is a bane in bitcoin’s behind.

Bitcoin 100
article thumbnail

The Thinker

Independent Banker

in Coldwater, Ohio, and ICBA’s incoming chairman, held fast to his community bank’s conservative lending practices. What concerned me most wasn’t that the customer was upset with me,” recalls Hartings of the homebuyers who ignored his community bank’s cautiously pragmatic approach. “I Jack got us through that just fine.

Ohio 70