Remove 2007 Remove Community Remove Regulation Remove Taxes
article thumbnail

What's With Regulator Agita Over Bank Commercial Real Estate Lending?

Jeff For Banks

And regulators are getting anxious. and New York Community Bancorp called off their planned merger. Reading between the lines, this bank is likely over the CRE guidance levels, and were probably getting grief from their regulators about it. It shows the pre-tax profit as a percent of the loan portfolios measured.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

The Velocity of Risk – What Bankers Need To Know

South State Correspondent

One morning, President Trump tweeted his desire for an additional tax on all foreign-owned companies operating in the US. Instantly, the cash flow for those businesses that many community banks lent to is impacted. That is a significant change in risk for a material part of a large community bank’s balance sheet.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

article thumbnail

Predicting the Next Banking Crisis Is a Fool’s Game. Not Learning From the Last One: Equally Foolish

Jeff For Banks

More recently and by comparison, the mortgage meltdown and subsequent global financial crisis took down more than 500 banks between 2007 and 2014, with total assets of nearly $959 billion. Third, the regulators need adequate financial resources. My lesson learned to the regulators, read your past lessons learned. What caused it?

FDIC 78
article thumbnail

Consumer Lending: Should Banks Do It?

Jeff For Banks

Mortgage bankers and brokers own a significant share of market (although less than prior to the 2007-08 financial crisis). Most community financial institution strategies has some sort of “community” focus. It’s implied whenever someone says “we’re a community bank”. Regulation has driven up costs and made us gun shy.

Lending 60
article thumbnail

Dynamic Duo

Independent Banker

From opposite political directions, Senators Shelby and Brown stand on point to greatly influence community banking’s agenda in the next Congress. The mix of contrasts and similarities of Shelby’s and Brown’s perspectives and policymaking portend an active session for community banking’s agenda in the new 114th Congress. By Ed Avis.

article thumbnail

Guest Post: FInancial Markets and Economic Update by Dorothy Jaworski

Jeff For Banks

This is because the economy has been gaining momentum, however modest, from the tax cuts and deregulation. In my career, I’ve lived through many years of the Fed raising interest rates and it’s my experience that they usually tighten too much and keep rates high for too long, just like in 2001 and 2006-2007. The economy has grown 2.2%

article thumbnail

2021 GonzoBanker Awards

Gonzobanker

Goes to Eric Sprink, Coastal Community Bank , Everett, Wash. Through all this, First Farmers has remained disciplined in performance and squarely focused on customers and community. Like how does that play into our communities? The regulator and media pressure on overdraft fees has been a constant challenge to overdraft revenue.

Fintech 143